Thursday, January 7, 2010

Where'd you get that?

Everyday there are a few instances
that remind me of a movie or something I saw on TV.
Today my coworker couldn't remember
how the kit-kat bar commercial goes.
This exact scene happened in an episode of "The Office"
I couldn't help but laugh
and act in the same way they did on the show.
I wouldn't help her.

I love that TV and movies are inspired by things that happen,
and I love that sometimes those things actually happen,
no matter how ridiculous it seems.

I find it interesting that media
can influence people so much though.
The radio tells you what to listen to,
the news tells you what to fear,
billboards and commercials tell you how to spend your money.
I know I'm guilty of getting something
based on an advertisement.
But I enjoy the more subtle influences.
After reading the twilight series
I found out they were influenced by
other novels.
So I felt compelled to read these other books,
to get a sense of where the author was coming from.

These sort of influences happen all the time.
The favorite sports player who listens to an artist
is now your favorite artist.
The place so and so go
is now somewhere you want to go.
Our whole world was built off of this.
Otherwise mom and pop shops would fail.
Word of mouth is the greatest advertisement
and without people voicing their opinions
nobody would be influence by anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment