Friday, January 1, 2010

Pied Piper

I just read an article in Los Angeles Magazine
about losing the greatest friend after 45 years of friendship.
The article started with how these 2 friends met.
This meeting reminds me of the way
my best friend and I met.
Anne Taylor Fleming describes seeing this girl and something instantly clicking.
"Yes, everything in me said, that's the one I've been looking for.
That's my planetary pal, my pied piper.
Lucky for me she felt the same."

Now I'm not sure if she felt the same at first as well,
but I definitely knew this friend would last.
After being in school with her for 3 years,
I changed schools after moving in with my Dad.
She was the only one I wanted to keep in touch with,
who also kept in touch with me.

As any friendship goes,
we had our ups and downs.
But no matter what we've maintained that friendship.
And I know that if I move across the world
or she does the same
We'll still be in contact
We'll still be connected.

It sounds so cheesy to say
that I've always considered her
my "friend soul mate"
But after reading that article I've got a new term.
My Planetary Pal.

At this point in time I couldn't imagine
what it would be like to lose her
and so I won't.
Instead I'll hope that we'll have that friendship
that lasts 45 years and more.
So that I can show my kids
that it's possible to have something that lasts.

1 comment: