Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I am me, you are you and we're both happy

When I eventually have children, and they start going to school, they will have the prettiest pens in school. Thanks to me! I will bedazzle them like I bedazzle my pens now. 
Okay so if I have a boy I won't bedazzle his pens, but that's okay, I'll still bedazzle mine. 
I've noticed lately, and probably only because I've spent some time, or have been reading things the younger peeps have been saying, that people are more often than not being discouraged from becoming who they want to. It's all about what you should be doing, or what you should look like, and who you should date. Why aren't we allowed to make our own decisions anymore? Why can't we say 'Hey, I want to move to Spain, I'm young and have no reason not to...so I'm moving to Spain.'
Instead we receive comments like, well what are you going to do there, how will you live, what about me? And I think why not, I'm supposed to make impulse decisions now and make mistakes or how will I learn anything? Plus now's as good a time as any right? 
If that's what's in your heart, if that's what you feel then you should do it. 
We continually get told we can't do things. What happened to the good ol' phrase "You can be whatever you want to be when you grown up" 
Most of us haven't grown up so why do you put us down when we haven't exceeded your expectations of who knows what? 
I realized when I do have kids, which will definitely be far into the future, I won't discourage them from doing what they want. If they decide they like to draw on the walls with crayon, I'll apply white wall paper and give them a canvas. If they want to dye their hair purple and play in the mud and do things kids are supposed to do, I won't stop them. 
And in return, they will learn that it's okay to be different, it's okay not to look the same way everyone else does, and because of that they won't be so quick to judge and put down people like so many are willing to do just because we're different. 
Embrace your individuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment